School uniform should not be a source of contention between staff and students. The uniform is considered regularly with advice from governors, parents/carers and the School Council. Students are expected to follow the dress code and we appreciate full parental support in this matter.
The school will be the final arbiter regarding the suitability of dress and appearance.
|Girls and Boys||Girls|
Blazer - black with school badge
School tie – clip on
Shirt/Blouse –White, plain formal style with collar (not a “polo” shirt) – designed to be worn with a tie and must be able to be tucked into trousers/skirts
Jumper - Plain black v-neck
Trousers - Plain black “traditional” tailored trousers (no culottes, leggings, wide flares or tight fashion trousers/jeans)
Socks – plain black (not trainer socks)
Shoes – black sensible low-heeled shoes (not trainers) - Boots/”ugg” type footwear or open toed sandals are not permitted
Skirt - Plain black knee-length tailored i.e. pencil, pleated or A-line, (but not made of lycra fabric)Tights - neutral or black
White or coloured trainers are not allowed for general school wear - this includes travel to and from school. If shoes are for some reason not worn, temporary substitute footwear will be provided by the school.
Please also be aware that because an item of clothing is sold as ‘school uniform’ in some outlets, this does not mean it meets the requirements of school uniform at Appleby Grammar School.
- one pair of earrings (studs or sleepers only). Other piercings are not permitted.
- one ring (prominent rings, e.g. “coin rings” are not permitted).
- no other adornment (including nail varnish and make-up) is permitted.
We recommend that each student has a strong bag for carrying PE and Games kit, and a separate bag for books, etc., both clearly named.
- In an attempt to avoid any loss of kit, all items of clothing and equipment brought to school must be clearly and permanently marked with the owner’s name. The school cannot be held responsible and is unable to reimburse parents/carers for lost kit/uniform/personal items. At the end of each term, several bags of clothing and equipment remain unclaimed.
- Extremes of hairstyle are not allowed.
NB: Most of the items on the uniform list can be purchased from a variety of suppliers and at widely varying costs according to type and quality. Local supplier Sam Scotts in Penrith, stock items such as the school tie and the school badge as well as the full uniform range.